Did you know you have a flower on your face? Your two lips! I’m sorry.
Follow this guide to learn how to make an easy origami tulip.
This fold requires folding the flower and the stem separately but is super simple.
I used pink paper for the flower and green for the stem.
Let’s get started!
For this guide, I used two different colored sheets of square origami paper that are the same size.
If you need square paper but don’t have any on hand, you can cut some regular paper into a square.
If you want to make the green stem larger, you can use a bigger piece of paper for that part.
We will start by folding the flower first.
We also have a money origami tulip guide if you want to make this same flower with a one-dollar bill.
1. Fold the paper in half from point to point
Unfold the paper when you have completed the fold.
2. Fold it in half again from the opposite points
Fold the paper in half from opposite points so that the paper is divided in fourths.
3. Form the first flower petal
Bring one of the side points towards the middle and crease it at a slight angle.
4. Do the same thing with the other side
These folds are easier than they look.
Make them as even as you can, and they will look fine.
Once you have completed this step, flip the paper over for the next one.
5. Fold the outer edges inward to shape the tulip
It may help to look at the tulip from the front side while making these folds to help you get them even.
This fold is the last for the flower, so we will move on to fold the stem and leaf next.
6. Start by folding this paper in half from point to point
Unfold the paper after making the crease and before moving to the next step.
7. Fold one bottom edge to the center crease
Fold the bottom right corner to the center edge.
8. Repeat the process with the other bottom edge
Repeat the same fold with the bottom left edge.
Origami 101: Right now you have folded the origami kite base which is one of the main origami base folds. This base can be continued into many different origami designs!
9. Fold one of the top edges to the center crease
Fold the top-right edge to the verticle centerline.
10. Mirror this fold with the other top edge
Repeat the process with the top left side.
11. Fold both bottom edges to the center once again
Fold both bottom edges to the vertical centerline.
12. Fold the whole thing in half from bottom to top
Bring the bottom skinny part in half to the top.
13. Fold it in half again from left to right
Fold the whole stem in half from left to right.
14. Shape the stem by pulling it to the right and creasing
Just pull on it to get it where you want it, and then push down on the bottom to get it to stay.
15. Cut the bottom of the flower and put it together
Make a tiny snip with scissors at the base of the tulip so that you can slide the stem inside.
Now you know a simple way to make an awesome origami tulip!
If you want to make something that will go great with this paper tulip, take a look at the origami butterfly instructions for another easy project.
For more flower designs check out our origami flowers collection!