These instructions cover the exact steps to fold an origami dinosaur.
This tutorial is a beginner to intermediate-level project that can be completed in 10-12 minutes.
Once finished, the dinosaur will stand up on its own. Be sure to check our easy origami collection for more ideas!
Let’s get folding!
For this guide, we use one sheet of square origami paper that is green on both sides.
You can make your own square paper if you don’t have any.
1. Fold the paper in half from point to point
Fold the paper in half from one point to another and then unfold it.
2. Fold the paper in half again from the other points
Fold the paper in half again from the other two points.
Unfold the paper again once you have made the crease.
3. Half the paper from edge to edge
Fold this paper in half from one edge to another and then unfold it.
4. Half the paper again from the other two edges
Fold the paper in half one last time from the other two edges.
At this point, we should have four crease lines.
5. Push in on the diagonal crease lines
We will start the process of folding this paper flat by first forming a four-pointed star.
Push in on all the diagonal crease marks simultaneously to get the paper to stand up.
6. Push the paper together and then flat
Push the points together and then totally flat.
7. Fold the bottom edges to the center crease
Bring the lower two edges to the center crease line on the upper layer.
8. Flip it over and repeat the same folds
After flipping the paper over, repeat the same folds on the other side.
9. Fold the top point down towards the center
Fold the top tip down, making the crease on the natural edges of the layers.
10. Start unfolding this side of the paper
Unfold the folds you made during steps 8-9.
11. Fold the edges flat to the center creases
After opening up the paper, fold it all the way flat while matching the edges to the center lines.
12. Repeat steps 10-11 on the opposite side
Flip the paper over and repeat the same opening process to fold it flat.
13. Fold the top tip down and then flip the paper over
Bring the top point down to the lower one and then flip the paper over for the next step.
14. Fold both top edges to the horizontal centerline
Match both edges, one at a time, to the horizontal centerline to make creases.
15. Fold the paper in half, then shape the head
Flatten the paper in half and then fold the tip of the head.
Grap the head point and make a diagonal crease while aiming the point forward.
16. Continue to shape the dinos head
Fold the head tip back over and crease it the opposite way.
After making this point straight again, make another smaller shaping fold on the tip.
17. Crease the tip on the other side, then reverse fold it
Start by moving the baby point fold to the opposite side to crease it,
Next, we will open it up and reverse fold it inside the head.
18. Shape the dino’s arms by bending them inward
Twist both the outside points to the inside, making little triangular arms.
19. Fold both of the legs forward at an angle
At whatever angle you choose to fold the first leg, flip it over and match the other leg fold to it.
20. Shape the legs similarly to the arms
Pick a point near the center of the legs and twist the outside of them towards the inside.
Like with the arms, you can fold one until it looks good and then match the other fold to it.
21. Fold the legs one more time the opposite way
Fold the legs back forward to give them more shape.
22. Shape the belly of the dinosaur inward slightly
Pinch the edge of the belly to fold them inwards, just slightly, and both as even as possible.
Now you know how to make an origami dinosaur!
Check out our growing collection of easy origami tutorials to find another step-by-step guide just for you!